The Château de la Rivoire was built between 1728 and 1740 and embellished between 1750 and 1760. Strongly inspired by country houses of Provence, it reflects the route, from Provence to Versailles, of a Vivarais family “established” in the royal Court. The castle was then attached to the States of Languedoc. Remaining inhabited and in private hands, the Château de la Rivoire seems to still breathe the air of the 18th century and its certain art of living.
Officially recognized and protected as a historic monument, the Château de la Rivoire remains a testimony to the ingenuity of the region’s artisans who built it.
Although a mansion of leisure for its owners, the Château de la Rivoire also had a large agricultural activity. Originally spread over more than 2,000 hectares, it employed a significant number of inhabitants of the Haut Vivarais region.
It was in the avant-garde of the period’s agricultural techniques, especially for irrigation. The property’s network of pipes and its large barns bear witness to this.
Come visit the Château de la Rivoire!